Taxing fat people and stupid people

Somewhere in Arizona, that bastion of 'take my liberties please" someone has suggested a $50 tax on Medicaid patients that are obese or who smoke---meaning, people overweight and people who are pretty stupid considering they do something that everyone knows will kill them should be required to pay this meaningless tax.  The theory is these folks tax the Medicaid system more because they are sick more.

Medicaid is the program for poor people right?  I mean, I want to make sure I'm understanding this new idea coming from the state that hates anyone who isn't white and perfect more than anyone else.  Medicaid provides medical services to the poor...gee, what a shock Arizona wants them to pay more.

Now one side of me, by the way, agrees.  I actually do believe those that are continuing to do something (smoke) that they don't have to and that costs others more money should be stopped or at least encouraged to quit.  And frankly I think there is something to be said for telling people they can't just remain obese without at least trying to do something about it if I'm paying your bills.

But why just Medicaid?  Oh, wait, forgot...poor people.

Why not do it for Medicare too?  I see my share of fat old people, people obviously not poor.  And lord knows they smoke more right?  Hell cigarettes are what, 20 bucks a pack now; you have to have some money to smoke.

Why not have this same tax on the elderly that are using the Medicare system for their health care? 

Oh and how about the same tax on congress people that are obese or smoke...or Presidents?  We pay their medical bills too.  Shouldn't President Obama pay that tax if he's sneaking into the rose garden to sneak a smoke?  And how about Barney Frank and ... oh never mind, if I began listing fat politicians we'd be here all day.

I'm just saying if we're taxing people on Medicaid because we pay their medical bills let’s do the same for politicians whose medical freight we also carry...just saying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books

I Love You

A Sense of Place